In 2006 four friends, motivated by God's love, made a decision to get out and serve the needs of their neighbors. They pooled funds, efforts, and spheres of influence to create a "common cupboard" to draw from serving our neighbors in need. It started with a 'small revolution of kindness' and has grown to women, men, teens and children from every background, ethnicity, socio-economic condition, faith community 'bridging the gap together' for families and communities in their backyard. On our journey we have found friends, strangers, communities, churches, schools and corporations with the desire to help change the lives of those in need. Little did we know we would be as blessed as those we serve.
In 2015 we fed over 26,000 people through:
- 2 weekly food pantries
- 2 mobile food pantries
- Great Turkey Countdown Thanksgiving Giveaway
We mobilized over 800 volunteers to gather all the groceries together, pack and deliver the food to families in need. As our community of volunteers have grown we have been able to offer more services such as:
- Free Income Tax Preparation Service
- Health Insurance Guidance for Healthcare.gov
- CONNECTS Network - our mission is to connect families, especially those who are struggling, with resources they need. in our community, our goal is to be a clearinghouse for a variety of resources that are provided by friends, community organizations and churches.
- Serving U, a university of kindness - the goal is to develop a trained community of kindness dealing with issues related to hunger, poverty and how kindness can transform lives and communities We are Union County's only Certified trainer for Bridges out of Poverty
- Common Things Thrift Store We are dedicated to Promoting a small revolution of kindness, one heart at a time!
All proceeds to benefit Common Heart.Common Heart is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization promoting personal action and awareness to address hunger and poverty. Located in Indian Trail we are encouraging a "small revolution of kindness" to transform individuals, families and communities through our food pantries, thrift store, free tax service and resource networking.